Tuesday, August 21, 2007

An Aside - Conspiracy Theory #1 - New Coke


Until I gave up smoking in 1990, my diet was basically Coca-Cola and cigarettes. In 1985 Pepsi's sales surpassed Coke’s. New Coke was introduced and the old formula was abandoned.

It was a disaster and they had to bring the original flavor back.

Garbage!!!!!

I believe it was one of the most brilliant marketing ploys in history. Coke Classic never had the same effect as the original. Where was the burn?

I’m here to tell you the truth. The new “Classic Coke” uses corn syrup instead of sugar. Corn syrup is a lot cheaper. If they would have just made the change everyone would have noticed and sales would have dropped. Instead the product loyalty zombies could voice their outrage and they would have to bring back the original. No one seemed to notice the subtle difference. Last I heard, Coke is on top again and it costs a lot less to produce.

No comments: